Who is it For?
Maths students studying for the National 5, Higher, Advanced Higher, GCSE and A-Level qualifications who would benefit from an intensive series of teaching and practice. 1-1 intensives aim to quickly build key skills and knowledge required for success on a particular course. Intensives should be considered an intervention.
Why is it Useful?
For many students regular 1-1 tuition or attendance at a revision course gives enough support and input to achieve their goals. However, some require an extra nudge and only achieve a step-change in performance when fully absorbed in the subject in a more intense way.
What Kinds of Scenarios does it Fulfil?
1-1 intensives are tailored to a students individual needs and goals but some scenarios it may be particularly useful for include:
- Students starting a new course and wishing to get a head-start on the new material
- Students transitioning from National 5 to Higher which continues to be a significant jump up in technical ability and commitment level
- Students finding the material on their course challenging and who need an intervention before it overwhelms them
- Intensive exam preparation
- Overcoming anxiety towards Maths
- Students who intend to pursue Maths further in the future and would like a more thorough understanding of the material
An initial consultation captures current strengths & weaknesses, desired goals and any other relevant information. I then create a programme of 1-1 sessions on a regular and intensive schedule, concise reading material with example questions & techniques, and homework to be completed between sessions. The key is sufficient intensity to initiate a step-change in performance towards achieving the students desired goals.
When is it Available?
At any time subject to my availability but some suggestions include:
- At the start of the new school year to help students build confidence and make a positive start to their course
- During summer holidays to get a head-start with the material
- During October holidays if struggling with the material or falling behind
- For National 5 & Higher to prepare for Unit 2 which is challenging and key to success in both courses
- As preparation for the prelims in January
- As preparation for final exams subject to my schedule
- The standard programme consists of six 90 minute sessions over 1-2 weeks and costs £350.
- The advanced programme consists of ten 90 minute sessions over 3-4 weeks and costs £550.
Many students wait until too late in the school year to find the intensity required to achieve their goals. In some cases they simply don’t realise what level is required for their course. This is especially true when moving up to a more demanding course such as from National 5 to Higher. 1-1 intensives offer the opportunity to get ahead of the curve, feel confident, reduce anxiety, and achieve your goals.
If you have any questions about these programmes or wish to enrol please contact me here.